This dictionary is the successor of the Burmese-English Online Dictionary that was launched in 2006 as one of the first Burmese dictionaries with a real search function.
The motivation behind it was and still is to provide a free language tool to the people from - and increasingly also in - Myanmar (Burma). Language continues to be one of the main obstacles to integration in foreign countries and to the empowerment of people at home. Printed dictionaries, however, are not everywhere available or affordable, and computers rarely offer Myanmar hardware keyboards.
Idea and software by Christoph Amthor. The vocabulary was built with the help of volunteers whose contribution is very much appreciated!
Large portions of words were imported from the free list of Ornagai (source at GitHub) and modified to fit into this database.
Among others we use as reference:
- The Thalun English-Myanmar Pocket Dictionary
- The Thalun Myanmar-English Pocket Dictionary
- The Guide Dictionary: English - English/Myanmar
- Textbook of Burmese By Ear or Essential Myanmar by J. Okell
- A Burmese-English Dictionary by Stewart & Dunn
By using this dictionary and it's accompanying pages, you agree that we take no responsibility for incorrect results or deficient operation and that you use this service at your own risk, to the extent permitted by applicable law. We provide this service for free and "as is" without any warranty, expressed or implied. You also acknowledge that you may not offer this software or its database as part of any other site or service or in printed form to third parties without our written consent.
Although we carefully check any website that we have linked to, we don't accept any responsibility for their content.
Some words from Google
- Google's use of the DoubleClick cookie enables it and its partners to serve ads to users based on their visit to this site and/or other sites on the Internet.
- Users may opt out of the use of the DoubleClick cookie for interest-based advertising by visiting the ads preference manager.
Please understand that we are not able to provide free translation or writing services!